Wednesday, June 08, 2011

CiM Ghee - Yet again



Yeah - by now you must be sick of hearing about this glass.

Did these at the studio where I teach. Set up is a little different, Natural Gas vs Propane, Tanked Oxygen vs Concentrator. Elderly kiln that leaks like a sieve and has mysterious, unknown annealing cycle that appears to work, so we don't mess with it. Still a Mid-Range torch, but with the tanked Oxy - much, much hotter. Three concentrators still can't match tanked oxygen. ;-)

However, I suspect the annealing cycle is much cooler - and see how much lighter these came out. I did these about an hour before the ramp down.

Interesting, eh? Let's say this glass kiln strikes - that's probably the easiest way to think of it. Hot temps mean darker colours.

3 comments:

  1. Ghee was named as such as it resembled clarified butter when melted in a cool flame. Just like butter, the hotter and longer you cook it, the darker it gets.
    I work cooler than many others, on a minor torch with one O2 concentrator. I use alot of silver glass and working cooler provides me that buffer to not overreduce, overstrike or boil my silver glass. Ghee likes the cooler working also. Here is my blog post on Ghee... colors are very light in comparison to your tests.
    http://bit.ly/kUsvTf
    I like the amber tones that you achieved, very caramel, looks like yummy toffee candy!
    Smiles,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep spotting the baggy out of the corner of my eye and thinking I have something edible there!

    Love your blog btw - your work is everything mine isn't - controlled, deliberate and focused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is the nicest compliment as I feel like my work is born out of chaos most times... and the glass takes control over my creativity!

    Love your blog also, it is one of my favorites!
    Smiles,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete