Monday, February 22, 2010

Double Helix Clio


I got my first look at a new colour from Double Helix, called Clio. Clio is a striking colour, but it is also a colour-shift, changing colours depending on the light. It also reduces. It is in the Blue/Pink family of colour shifts.

On the left, the struck end of a rod, in cool, fluorescent lighting - the rod appears blue, with the end having a golden hue. On the right, under warm, incandescent lighting the rod appears to be a light pink/mauve - with the struck end appearing to be a warmer, richer tone of gold.

Here we have three beads, made of Clio. The one on the left was reduced, while the two on the right are not. They went into the kiln considerably lighter, and seem to have struck in the kiln.

Of the two, the one on the right has a distinctly purpley, slightly metallic lustre that I really like. The other one doesn't show it. The rightmost bead reminds me of Ekho, actually - another Double Helix glass.

The reduced bead is sort of murky and I don't really care for it. These are shot in cool light.


And here are the same three beads, shot in warm light. I don't see a lot of difference. I think that is a result of the kiln-struck colour being strong enough to overwhelm the rather delicate colour of the glass - as the unstruck rods have a quite distinct colour shift.


And here is Clio dots on black spacers. These were reduced. Here, the reduction is much nicer. I would say, off hand, when reducing this glass, less is more. Less glass, less reduction.

Clio bears further investigation, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:46 p.m.

    wow ! very flexible glas . . . .
    lg
    guido

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, this is just the type of info I was looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:10 p.m.

    Thanks for this info. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete