Saturday, January 28, 2012

CiM 103 Crimson

Here is the other of the two new transparent reds - Ruby Slippers and Crimson -  from CiM - and, as I said before -  I struggled with these.

Note: Transparent reds are striking colours - they lose their colour when heated to molten - and then you let them cool, and re-introduce them to the flame, and the "strike" - regaining their red colour. Generally - I have no problems with the transparent reds.

I started with the same difficulty with Crimson as I did with Ruby Slippers. Again, I don't know if it was me or the glass. Other testers did say it took a while too.

The one on the left (yellow) - I heated to clear and kilned it that way - so all that yellow colour developed in the kiln. The one on the right, it turned cloudy - and you can see that it has a lot of brown in the haze.

I did eventually get this one to strike - a rather nice, bright shade of red. Unfortunately - I spent so much time cooling it and re-heating it a little that it cracked when it came out of the kiln.

'This one was a base of Crimson, encased. It struck almost immediately when I encased it, But it also went hazy too. And while it is a prettier colour in real life - it also cracked.
This one struck when I marvered it - but it is so dark - it is hard to tell that it is red. However, with the trails of Triton - it is a rather handsome bead!

Gobs of potential in this colour - but I had difficulty with it. Your milage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment