Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Big Beads, Baby


Appropo. of absolutely nothing at all - I just thought I'd share these with you.

I felt like making something - large. With some heft to them. Like a bead you could hold in your hand and feel like you could throw it through a window.

Big.

These are on a base of clear - made on big mandrel - the hole is 5.5 mm. Great way to use up odds and ends of clear. Goober and glob ivory all over it and melt it in. A few light strings of Hades, some globs of Turquoise, Grass Green, Medium Lapis. A tiny bit of Psyche stringer too. Melt it all like crazy - get that Hades breaking up.

Refine and tweak the shape a bit.

Turn down the oxygen, get a little reduction coming up on the green.

There you go!

I made these on my Mid-Range - with two concentrators - a 5 lpm and a 9 lpm. They take about 45 minutes - I think. I find it very hard to keep track of time when I'm creating.

The slightly heartish shaped one (in the palm of my hand) is 57 x 55 x 18 mm. Or about 2 x 2 x .75 inches. It's the thickness of them that makes them seem so substantial, I think. The same one is 98 grams - about 3.5 ounces.

2 comments:

  1. These are some incredible beads. I love the way the colors web into each other and the way the shapes morph with the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those are some huge honking beads! huge and beautiful

    ReplyDelete